The rental application documents

Outside Studapart…

The rental application file regroups all of the documents that help the owner get a sense of your tenant profile: do you have guarantors ? If so, what’s their income? Do you have the necessary resources for paying rent

Compulsory documents for renting an apartment

Your rental application must contain: 

  • a photocopy of your valid ID 

  • your last 3 paychecks (or those of your guarantor) 

  • your residence permit 

  • proof of residence (of your current home) 


You can give copies of the original documents, but the owner might ask you to provide him with the originals. It’s best to come with the original documents and their copies, so you show the original documents to the owner and then give him the copies. 


Don’t forget to translate your documents in english or french.

Documents it’s better to have at hand

These are optional, but they’re actually almost always requested: 

  • your bank details 

  • proof that your eligible for CAF housing allowance (you can show a screenshot of a simulation made on 

  • statement of your previous lessor that you did pay your rent

It’s better to prepare these documents so your application holds up and makes a good impression on the owner. 

Typically, when you’re looking for a place in France, the lessor expects you to have a guarantor and that your application file includes a number of pieces regarding his situation, such as:

  • his last tax notice 

  • a photocopy of his ID 

  • proof he’s employed/paychecks (usually, it’s asked that his income is 3 to 4 times the rent) 

  • if he’s not employed, proof he’s solvent 

  • proof of residence 

  • his 3 last rental receipts 


But you probably won’t have a french guarantor anyway. Practically all agencies and most owners are reluctant to accept a foreign guarantor for administrative purposes. But some student residences do accept foreign guarantors, so it’s for you to find a case-by-case agreement with your owner. 

If you make a remote reservation on Studapart, you will automatically subscribe to the Allianz/Studapart insurance. This insurance replaces the need for a guarantor and solves your issues if you don’t have a guarantor in your country of residence or if your lessor doesn’t accept foreign guarantors. 


You’re a human being, not just a pile of photocopies! You could make a move towards your lessor by joining to your application file a letter in which you tell him about yourself in a more personal way. Put a picture of you, talk about your interests, your background and projects, what you like in the apartment and the neighborhood…

What the owner can’t ask from you

There are limits to what the owner can ask from you! He’s not allowed to ask for certain personal documents that aren’t related to rental, such as:

  • insurance card

  • a screen copy of your bank account

  • a statement from your bank giving out information about the way you manage your bank accounts

  • proof you don’t have debt

  • an authorization for direct debit

  • medical records

  • certificate of criminal record…

At Studapart…

Usually, the rental application file is like the owner’s holy book and he relies almost entirely on it to pick his tenant. Candidates multiply supporting documents in their file and everyone ends up drowned in paperwork. Beyond that, some candidates go as far as falsifying their documents to have a more solid application. 

We for one think that kind of approach is out of date. Especially since it makes things super complicated for students, who end up disadvantaged compared to working individuals who have income. 

On Studapart, rental application is made simple! You can manage your file directly from your personal dashboard. You import compulsory documents, and we notify you if stuff’s missing. 

Most importantly, we reduced compulsory documents to the bare minimum.

Requirement variations between different lessors

Depending on your lessor, and on whether or not you have a guarantor, what you put in your rental application can vary a little. 

Private residences are more flexible with foreign student’s application than individual owners. They’re more used to receiving non-french documents. Some student residences also accept students who have a european guarantor. In this last case, make sure documents referring to your guarantor are at least translated in english.  


If you have a guarantor, refer to the list in the above section. 


If you don’t have a guarantor, just use remote reservation on Studapart, and all we’ll ask for is:

  • photocopy of your passport

  • supporting document that you’re enrolled in the french school/university you’re coming to study in

… indeed, that is all!