CROUS file (DSE): how to apply?

The DSE, student social file, is your key to obtaining student grants and university accommodation. The procedure is very simple, Studapart guides you.


Photos gratuites de à distance, à l'intérieur, anonyme

Crous folder


Your application for a scholarship and student accommodation in CROUS university residences go through the same procedure: you must complete your DSE, student social file. This is prepared well in advance, generally in January of the year of your next return to school. The government site My student services allows you to verify, according to social criteria, your eligibility for student grants and to know the amount to which you are entitled.


How do you know if you are eligible for the CROUS scholarship?


To find out if you are eligible for student grants, the site offers to run a simulation. On the home page of the site, you must select the "Scolarship simulator" pictogram in the "Ask for a grant or aid" section. You will then be asked:


  • family income: you must refer to the overall gross income appearing on the last tax notice from your parents or legal guardians.
  • the number of dependent children in the family: indicate the number of brothers and sisters who account for a share or a half share in the household tax plan. You must also specify whether some are studying in higher education,
  • the distance between the family home and the institution where you plan to study.


Once these three elements have been entered, the scholarship simulator will display your eligibility through the annual amount of the scholarship to which you will be entitled, as well as its level.


How to set up your DSE (student social file)?

Since you are eligible for CROUS scholarships, you must immediately create your DSE, student social file. It will make it possible to apply for a grant based on social criteria and to apply for student accommodation in university residences. If you have already created your DSE in previous years, you must update it in order to activate your request.


It is possible (and we recommend it) to prepare your DSE even if you do not yet have all the necessary information. You can therefore open or reopen your file even before knowing the results of your exams and the direction you want to give your studies. You can make changes and adjustments later.


What documents are needed for the DSE?


Before embarking on the actual seizure, you must gather the documents on which appear the elements that will be requested:

  • your school certificate, as well as that of your brothers and sisters studying in higher education,
  • the last tax notice of your family (or at least a copy) or of each of your two parents if their declarations are separate,
  • your own tax notice if you have one,
  • the parents' divorce decree, if applicable,
  • a certificate from your parents if they receive income from abroad,


As a reminder, during all your research procedures, your information remains recorded at the academy of the establishment in which you are located. For any information, even if you are about to join an establishment dependent on another academy, you should check with the current academy.


What information to enter in the student social file?

To create your DSE, or update it:


  • On the home page on the site, select the “Request for student social file (DSE)” pictogram in the “Request a grant or assistance” section.
  • The site asks you to identify yourself with your email address and password. You can use your Parcoursup credentials (it is even recommended to create your Parcoursup account before that of the DSE). If you do not have an account yet, it will be possible to create one.


You are then prompted to enter the information requested on each page. It will be a question of providing your contact details, the assistance requested, your wishes concerning the continuation of your studies, etc. Above all, take the time to read the instructions on each page. So you can be sure that you don't forget anything.


At the end of the entry process, you must validate so that the data is kept. You can modify them later, but it is important to validate your entry, otherwise what you have entered may disappear after seven days.


In the event of a sudden disconnection or power cut, no panic, the items you entered are kept and you can resume entry after resolution of the incident.


When you have entered and validated all of your data, processing is initiated. If anything is missing, you will regularly receive an email to notify you that your EHR remains to be completed. You will also receive an email in the event of a significant change in the procedure.


Has the student grant application been accepted?


The CROUS response will be sent to you by email, in an attached document. You can follow the progress of your file on the site by clicking "Follow-up of the student social file (DSE)" in the "Request a grant or assistance" section.


If the grant application is refused by the CROUS, you have the possibility of file a plea.


It is then necessary to distinguish between the “conditional” notification and the “definitive” notification.


The notification is deemed to be conditional as long as the applicant has not enrolled in his new establishment. The amount of the scholarship indicated is therefore only informative, pending actual registration. The notification, even conditional, will however have to be presented at the time of registration. In particular, it will allow you to benefit from a possible exemption from university registration fees and the CVEC (Contribution to student life on campus).


The notification becomes final when the registration is effective and the CROUS has received this registration. The amount of the scolarship displayed is therefore acquired. It is necessary to verify that the proof of registration (or a school certificate from the new establishment) has been sent to the CROUS. And if necessary, send it yourself. Indeed, depending on the institution, this procedure is not always automatically carried out.


How to enroll in a higher education establishment?


Enrolment in a higher education institution is the final step in the Parcoursup application. This mobile application now supports students in their orientation and facilitates registration.


Once you have identified which sector or which training you wish to follow, registering for Parcoursup allows you to express your wishes and contact the establishments that interest you. The request is immediately taken into account and allows establishments to send a response fairly quickly. If accepted, the application allows pre-registration.


How to apply for accommodation in a CROUS residence?


The request for accommodation in a CROUS university residence is also made through the student social file (DSE). When you have completed your DSE, you will receive an e-mail during the month of May preceding the next school year. This explains the procedure for applying for university accommodation. You can also go to the CROUS Finding accommodation website (especially if you come from abroad and therefore do not have access to the DSE).


You are asked to choose a maximum of three academy sectors, and to choose two options per academy. The response to requests arrives at the end of June by email and / or SMS. When you have made your choice, the procedure to follow (registration, amount, deadline, etc.) will be explained to you.


Autres articles similaires

Experience a better way of renting!

  • Streamlined steps
  • 100% of verified ads
  • Seamless support, even after booking